Hosanna has a new volunteer based lay team called Arms of Grace. Our purpose is to love God’s people as He does, and to offer a variety of care for those struggling with their mental health. This team will be available to encourage, support, walk along-side and pray with and for others.
Statistics show that 1 in 5 adults and 1 in 6 youth will experience some form of mental illness in their lifetime. If you or someone you know would be interested in learning more about this team and how we can help, you may email the church at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call Hosanna at 507-388-1766 and ask to speak to someone from Arms of Grace.
One of Arms of Grace’s first initiatives will be to hold an event we are calling “Break the Stigma.” This event will be held at the Hosanna Main campus in the Main Worship Center, (105 Hosanna Drive) on Saturday, May 22, from 9 a.m. – noon. (May is National Mental Health Awareness Month).
This event is free and is offered to all of Hosanna’s disciples and their friends and/or family. We will begin the morning with prayer and praise and a short skit. We will then introduce the panel guests and have a time for attendees to ask questions of the panel. The panel will consist of some members of the Arms of Grace team, as well as professionals from our community who work specifically in areas of mental health.
Some topics of discussion may include:
- Reducing stigmas surrounding mental health for children, youth and adults
- Types and places of support available in our church and community
- Provide hope, encouragement and support
- How to begin conversations with a family member or friend who may be struggling with depression and possibly thoughts of suicide
- How to recognize and look for warning signs surrounding self-harm or suicide
- Learn what to say and do vs what not to say and do with someone who is struggling with mental health issues.