Connections Ministry: Connecting neighbors facing food, housing, and employment insecurity with resources and assistance.
Join Hosanna in partnering with Connections Ministry in serving and providing emergency shelter to those experiencing homelessness in the greater Mankato area. Connections is hosted permanently at Covenant Family Church, 709 N. Riverfront Drive in Mankato. Hosanna is providing three weeks of volunteers this season:
- October 21-28, 2019
- January 13-20, 2020
- April 20-27, 2020
Questions? Contact Carolina at: email@example.com
Set-Up Team: The set-up team makes sure that everything is in place for our guests. Bathrooms and rooms are checked for cleanliness, sheets/blankets/pillows are put on the bed, and the team makes sure the atmosphere is welcoming.
Hospitality Evening Teams: A background check is required. The evening hospitality team works with the shelter manager to welcome guests and assure their comfort. This team sets an important tone for the guests’ experience each night. The hospitality team:
- Helps direct guests to their spaces
- Serves the evening meal
- Eats with guests and has conversations
- Cleans up after the meal
- Assists the shelter staff with any needs
Hospitality Morning Teams: A background check is required. The morning hospitality team assists with clean-up and moving guests from the shelter to the rest of their day. The morning team arrives at 6:30am. This team keeps the coffee flowing. Guests are awakened at 7am. Guests leave the shelter by 8am. After guests have left, the team does a sweep of the building to check for cleanliness, any maintenance issues, and makes sure all guests are gone.
Meal Team: The food team provides a nutritious meal for shelter guests each night. The team can either drop food off to be served by the hospitality team or assist in serving. If the meal team wants to serve they must have a background check. If the meal is just dropped off a background check is not needed. A main dish, side dish and dessert are needed each day.
Laundry Team: Monday morning take all bedding and linens from the shelter. Please bring blankets before check in Monday evening. Sheets can be done throughout the week.
Donations: A variety of donations are also needed, if you feel led to serve in this way. You can see the items desired in the sign-up form above.
2018/2019 Connections Ministry Facts:
- The Connections Shelter was open for 175 days
- 16 churches hosted/partnered with Connections
- 96 guests used the shelter: 43 men, 37 women and 16 children
- 47 guests stayed with Connections for a week or less (48%)
- 12 guests were with Connections the entire season
- 43% of guests moved from the shelter to stable housing or treatment
- Almost 9,000 volunteer hours were donated
- 4,375 meals were served
- The shelter reached capacity the first night
- Many nights Connections went over capacity (maxing out at 31)
- Connections turned people away weekly with an average of 25 calls a week
- Calls to public safety were minimal-most often resulting from medical needs
There is a training at Hosanna on 10.13 at 12:30pm. Snacks will be provided. Contact Carolina at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.